Data înregistrării: 29.11.2008
Locație: peste oceane si peste mari
Religia: Ortodox
Trimite un mesaj prin Yahoo pentru patinina34
Exclamation Raspunsul acestui preot american la intrebarea mea

Sent: Sunday, December 28, 2008 807 PM
Subject: Re: Merry Christmas

Dear Nina, Christ is born! Glorify Him!

I thank you for your question. It is a good question.

Here in America, some of our Orthodox bishops prefer for the priests to dress in a way which is more "normal" for Americans, but which is not the Orthodox tradition in most countries. For example, if we wear long hair (which is typical of our monks and of priests in many countries) the people think we are "hippies" and do not respect us. If we wear a rasson, they think that we are Muslims. For many years I wore an anteri (cassock) all the time, but people asked me continually if I was a Buddhist.

Today, there is a lot of talk among the priests and many want to return to our older tradition. But for now, I have to obey my bishop, so I wear a black shirt which looks "Catholic" when I am not at church or at an Orthodox meeting. However, my bishop lets us wear traditional Orthodox clothing where it is clear that people will know we are Orthodox.

Also, in the Greek tradition the priests do not wear a cross as they do in Russia or the Slavic churches. We only wear a cross if we are of the highest rank (proto-presbyter). Since I am a lower rank, I do not wear a cross except in the Liturgy. But if I do not wear a cross, people think I am a Buddhist or belong to a cult. That is why we dress like Catholics.

I hope this helps. I agree with you--it is probably better to explain to people what Orthodox means--but I have to obey my bishop.

Thank you, and please write again!
Blessings in Christ, +Fr Brendan