Forum Crestin Ortodox Crestin Ortodox

Du-te înapoi   Forum Crestin Ortodox > Biserica ortodoxa > Despre Biserica Ortodoxa in general
Răspunde

Vechi 21.09.2015, 03:47:25

Data înregistrării: 06.04.2011
Locație: usa
Religia: Ortodox
Arrow the poor goldsmith and the patrician

Just as a candle is lighted from another candle, so also a good work is born from a good work. A patrician wanted to donate a gold cross to a church. He summoned a young but experienced goldsmith, gave him a great deal of gold that he weighed out, and told him to fashion whatever sort of cross he desired. The poor goldsmith, seeing what a large donation this patrician was making for the sake of his soul, became inflamed with love for God in his own heart, and decided that he would add his own ten pieces of gold to the amount of the patrician's gold. When the cross was completed, the patrician weighed it, and discovered that it was heavier than the gold that he had given to the young man. He immediately began to scold the young man as a thief, suspecting that he had taken some of the gold and replaced it with some other heavy metal. When the young man saw the patrician so angry, he confessed his deed. He said: ``I added from my gold, as the widow gave two mites, in order to receive Christ's reward with you.'' Hearing this, the patrician's heart was touched, and he said to the honorable young man: ``From this day, I take you as my son, and the heir of all my goods.''

Saint Nikolai Velimirovici - "Prologue from Ochrid"
Vechi 22.09.2015, 07:28:06

Implicit

Patriarch Pavle of Serbia - Interview 1996 (with English subtitles)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T14p...ature=youtu.be

Vechi 23.09.2015, 20:07:06

Implicit

Always pray to have eyes that see the best in people, a heart that forgives the worst, a mind that forgets the bad, and a soul that never loses faith in God.
Vechi 04.11.2015, 15:33:33

Implicit

Every truth passes through three stages before it is recognized. In the first, it is ridiculed. In the second, it is opposed. In the third, it is regarded as self evident.

- Handy Jean

PS: this is a friend of mine from SF, California. Living as an Expat in Middle East. Christian Catholic. :)
Vechi 04.11.2015, 15:35:24

Implicit

If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never hate him/her. Everything and everyone that you hate is engraved upon your heart; if you want to let go of something, if you want to forget, you cannot hate.

- same as above
Vechi 09.11.2015, 17:29:07

Data înregistrării: 17.07.2008
Locație: Timișoara
Implicit

Maria Laura Dumbrava
(Age 14, Romania)
“Mircea cel Batran” National College of Constanta

”"Who am I?" That is the question that every day I try to find an answer to. What shapes me as a human being are my thoughts and my actions while I interact with the others: children, adults, animals and nature. I have always felt a bond between us all and I found my strength and inspiration in God, family, friends and teachers. I think we are who we choose to be and that is why it is important to know all the alternatives when we take decisions.

The first page of my diary is an open-ended collection of promises I have made to myself: never to compromise my honesty, always listen before judging, be positive and find solutions, never be afraid of making mistakes as we can learn constructive lessons from them, set goals and take steps to reach them, appreciate and respect the others, defend the truth and speak up for those who are absent, love and help my family, my friends and my peers, not just take but also offer. So far, I may say that this is how I relate to the world and I strive to turn my beliefs into deeds.

The first time I reacted was when a boy from my class, Todirica, came to school with a bad haircut and some of boys started picking on him, throwing his cap to the ground. I went over to them and suggested we all played "paper planes". We started negotiating the teams and that was the moment when I realized I had the power to change things. I made the boys see Todirica as a partner, as our colleague. Another thing that I have become aware of is that play unites us and it is a good way of overcoming conflicts.

Three years ago I got involved in recycling paper and collecting used oil in my neighborhood. It was my way of dealing with pollution. In addition to this, I and my friends have fun spending our time outdoors in a constructive way: we go to the beach at weekends and play, run, laugh while collecting the garbage we come across during our walk along the shore. What I love most is that, when we start picking up empty bottles and plastic bags, there are people on the beach who come to help us.

Last year in spring I went to a meeting with kids of our age who got into trouble and faced the consequences. They used ethnobotanics and were expelled from school. We gathered to talk about our future and focused on the steps each of us had to take to choose the best alternative from that point on. The purpose was to communicate, learn from the shared experiences and take responsibility for our actions.

This is the second year in a row when I tried to do more for our planet. I worked hard and studied a lot and success followed. I created two space settlements where communities were based on respect for life, justice and liberty, and did their best to both sustain themselves out there and help the Earth. My projects were SpaceBurg (2014) and Twins (2015) and were awarded the 1st prize at NASA Ames Space Settlement Contest. I consider that going to space could be a way of putting an end to the wars started for territories and resources. It could boost governments to work together, share new goals and achieve progress and prosperity for the entire mankind.

Little by little, as the words I write engulf the pages of my diary, I get to see the reflection of myself. This is how I build peace in my heart and mind: by doing what I consider to be the right thing which always seems to find echoes in the hearts of the others and form inspirational ripples in the mind of our community and beyond.

I will conclude this essay with Dalai Lama's words: "an atmosphere of peace must first be created within ourselves, then gradually expand to include our families, our communities, and ultimately the whole planet", and, I will add, the whole universe. All it takes is determination, hard work and love.”

http://www.goipeace.or.jp/english/ac...inner_3C5.html

Ascultați Noul Testament ortodox online.
Vechi 23.11.2015, 14:52:48

Lightbulb saint of the day

Today - Monday, November 23rd, 2015 - we are celebrating a great saint from Romania : Saint Anthony from Iezerul Vâlcea. For this celebration, today FISH IS ALLOWED (during Nativity fast).
The place where he lived his life - back in time during the reign of Matei Basarab and Constantin Brâncoveanu, in Wallachia, was Iezerul Vâlcii, close to my birth city Craiova, in Oltenia.
I strongly believe that we should always ask for help and protection of the saints patrons of the day - nn. saints celebrated in one particular day - because as Patrons for that Day, to them has given God the guardianship and guidance of the faithful orthodox, in other words, they are in charge in that day. And what could be better that have a direct relationship with them, and ask for their protection, to survive the day graciously, and with benefit.
Saint Anthony from Iezerul Vâlcii already gave me his help. THANK YOU, SAINT ANTHONY !!
Vechi 25.11.2015, 02:49:04

Arrow This is SO true !!

1 Corinthians 13 New International Version - UK (NIVUK)

1. If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.
9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part,
10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.
11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
13 And now these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is Love.

Vechi 04.12.2015, 10:09:33

Arrow

"The Wise Thief’s whole life had been one of theft and crime. But evidently his conscience had not died—and in the depths of his heart something good remained. Tradition even hold that he was that very thief who—during Christ’s flight into Egypt—took pity on the beautiful Baby and forbade his accomplices to kill Him when they attacked the holy family. Did he perhaps recall the face of that Child—when he looked upon the face of the One hanging next to him on the Cross?"

†Saint John the Wonderworker†
"Why the Wise Thief Was Pardoned,
Man of God: Saint John of Shanghai & San Francisco"b
Vechi 06.12.2015, 13:34:11

Lightbulb daily scripture readings

Readings for December 6, 2015

[New calendar / Russian Typikon]

27th Sunday after Pentecost

Luke 17.12-19
And as he entered a village, he was met by ten lepers, who stood at a distance and lifted up their voices and said, “Jesus, Master, have mercy on us.” When he saw them he said to them, “Go and show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went they were cleansed. Then one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, praising God with a loud voice; and he fell on his face at Jesus’ feet, giving him thanks. Now he was a Samaritan. Then said Jesus, “Were not ten cleansed? Where are the nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?” And he said to him, “Rise and go your way; your faith has made you well.”

Ephesians 6.10-17
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we are not contending against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world rulers of this present darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the equipment of the gospel of peace; besides all these, taking the shield of faith, with which you can quench all the flaming darts of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

St Nicholas the Wonderworker, archbishop of Myra in Lycia (c345)

Luke 6.17-23
And he came down with them and stood on a level place, with a great crowd of his disciples and a great multitude of people from all Judea and Jerusalem and the seacoast of Tyre and Sidon, who came to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and those who were troubled with unclean spirits were cured. And all the crowd sought to touch him, for power came forth from him and healed them all. And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples, and said: “Blessed are you poor, for yours is the kingdom of God. Blessed are you that hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. “Blessed are you that weep now, for you shall laugh. Blessed are you when men hate you, and when they exclude you and revile you, and cast out your name as evil, on account of the Son of man! Rejoice in that day, and leap for joy, for behold, your reward is great in heaven; for so their fathers did to the prophets.

Hebrews 13.17-21
Obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you. Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a clear conscience, desiring to act honorably in all things. I urge you the more earnestly to do this in order that I may be restored to you the sooner. Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do his will, working in you that which is pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Răspunde

Tags
engleză, english, orthodox, orthodoxy

Moduri de afișare