Forum Crestin Ortodox Crestin Ortodox

Du-te înapoi   Forum Crestin Ortodox > Biserica ortodoxa > Despre Biserica Ortodoxa in general
Răspunde

Vechi 23.07.2013, 22:48:40

Data înregistrării: 17.07.2008
Locație: Timișoara
Religia: Ortodox
Post English Corner

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
I open this topic because I find important to get familiar with the specific Orthodox terms that are used in our Church. I prefer to keep writing here only in English, so please don't post in Romanian or other languages.

Many times I had the opportunity to chat with people interested to know about Orthodoxy and, shamefully, I had to say that I cannot discuss the subject due to the lack of knowledge...

It doesn't matter how fluent your writing is, you might contribute to this thread.

I will start with a short list of several "technical" words mandatory to be learned by someone that knows the conversational language, even a bit, but having no experience with the religious part.

The Holy Ghost = Sfîntul Duh
Theotokos = Mother of God = Maica Domnului
The Divine Liturgy = Dumnezeiasca Liturghie
Saint John Chrysostom = Sfîntul Ioan Gură de Aur
to commune = to partake = a te împărtăși
Chalice = Potir
phosphora = prescură
perish = parohie
Gospel = Evanghelie
Apostle = Apostol
to fast = a posti
The Great Lent = Postul Mare
faithful = credincios
sin = păcat
to repent = a te pocăi
Redeemer = Saviour = Mîntuitor
sermon = predică
canon (pentru păcate) = penitence
Bishop = Episcop
lamb = miel
The Creed = Crezul
monk = călugăr
deacon = diacon
icon = icoană
cross = cruce
redemption = răscumpărare
Judgment = Judecată
reward = răsplată
Heruvim = Cherubim = Cherub
The Holy Fathers = Sfinții Părinți
archdiocese = arhiepiscopie

Ascultați Noul Testament ortodox online.
Vechi 24.07.2013, 01:20:56

Data înregistrării: 17.06.2010
Implicit

Holy Communion=Sfanta Impartasanie

Antirodon=anafura,paine sfintita

to worship=a se inchina,a(pro)slavi

(Feast of the)Announciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary=(Sarbatoarea) Bunei Vestiri

The Good Friday=Vinerea Mare

righteousness=dreptate,justitie

iniquity=nedreptate

Archangel=Arhanghel

to beseech=a implora

to be worthy to//to not be worthy to=a fi vrednic sa.../a nu fi vrednic sa...

to marvel=a se minuna

John the Baptist=Ioan Botezatorul

Transfiguration of Christ=Schimbarea la fata

Dormition of the Theotokos= Adormirea Maicii Domnului

Beheading of John the Baptist=Taierea capului Sf.Ioan Botezatorul

nun=maicuta,calugarita

Resurrection=Inviere

(va urma)
Cuvine-se cu adevarat sa te fericim pe tine, Nascatoare de Dumnezeu, cea pururea fericita si prea nevinovata si Maica Dumnezeului nostru. Ceea ce esti mai cinstita decat Heruvimii si mai slavita fara de asemanare decat Serafimii, care fara stricaciune pe Dumnezeu-Cuvantul ai nascut, pe tine, cea cu adevarat Nascatoare de Dumnezeu, te marim.

Last edited by Yasmina; 24.07.2013 at 01:32:52.
Vechi 24.07.2013, 19:42:32

Implicit

I found an interesting post on orthodoxchristianity.net, regarding the frequency of receiving Communion in Russia over the last three centuries:

"This comports well with what I know, and I would be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

It would seem that from the earliest days of the church, weekly communion was expected. The catechumens and those who were not members of the Church were dismissed; only the faithful remained for Communion and from the language of the prayers, which speak of making one worthy to partake, and thanking God for what one has just received, it seems that the expectation is that everyone who was present from that time forward was there for the purpose of communing. And I would be interested in hearing from others how the 1:1 confession/communion requirement became established. It doesn't seem that it was always that way during the earliest times, and it doesn't seem that it was almost presented as a "reward" for having fulfilled other requirements, but as a sacrament which contained the power of healing. Otherwise, some of the pre-communion prayers don't make a lot of sense.
=======
The tradition of "infrequent communion" in the Russian Orthodox Church may stem, at least in part, from the events of the early 1720s. At that time, as is well known, Tsar Peter the Great abolished the then vacant-Patriarchate of Moscow and replaced it with a government department, the Most Holy Synod, which was a sort of college of bishops and clergy led by a civil servant appointed by the Tsar, given the title "Procurator of the Most Holy Synod."

This arrangement lasted from 1721 until 1917, when the Patriarchate was restored following the Russian Revolution. The Most Holy Synod implemented a number of rules, including requirements that priests keep registers of births, marriages, and deaths. A copy of these was kept at the parish and then, each year, the priest made a copy of these records for the previous year and mailed them to the diocesan consistory, where they were filed. Furthermore, to maintain the Orthodoxy of the population, the Most Holy Synod decreed that the people must commune yearly, in their village parish church, and that they must confess to the priest preparatory to this communion. The priest was, again, responsible for making a list, the "Confession List" ("исповедные ведомости"), which had everyone listed who lived in the boundaries of the parish, by household, with their name, patronymic, and age. (These records are great for genealogy!) The priest was responsible for seeing to it that each person confessed during Lent each year or, if they didn't, noting in the record why they did not make their confession. These lists were then forwarded annually to the diocesan consistory for review. (I think it helped them determine whether there might be subversive elements in the village.) With the collapse of the Russian Empire, the archives of the diocesan consistories were transferred to the USSR's various governmental archives. Since 1991, they are accessible to the public.
=======
I think that these directions were carried out in such a way that the villagers were convinced that this confession and communion should be carried out once annually, and, in many cases, the "minimum" requirement became the "standard" requirement. This, in turn, was transplanted to America by the immigrants.

The churches I'm familiar with now are trying to reverse the trend that developed under the rule of the Most Holy Synod, and restore weekly communion unless someone has committed a grave sin that would counsel against it. In this understanding, confession should be made as-needed, at least monthly. This I analogize to the old maxim, "Take a bath once a week on Saturday night, whether you need it or not." The idea is that, of course you need a regular bath, as you get dirty every day, but that the state of your dirtiness, whether a little better or worse, doesn't dictate whether you might need a good cleansing anyway. There is always SOME dirt there, in other words -- something that needs cleaning/healing."

Vechi 24.07.2013, 19:53:51

Data înregistrării: 06.04.2011
Locație: usa
Lightbulb

Citat:
În prealabil postat de Florin-Ionut Vezi mesajul
perish = parohie
Perish inseamna a pieri, a disparea.
Parish inseamna parohie.
Vechi 24.07.2013, 19:55:18

Lightbulb

Citat:
În prealabil postat de Yasmina Vezi mesajul
Antirodon=anafura,paine sfintita
Corect este Antidoron - adica se da ca mangaiere celor care nu se pot impartasi.
Vechi 24.07.2013, 20:01:03

Implicit

Citat:
În prealabil postat de mirela.t Vezi mesajul
Corect este Antidoron - adica se da ca mangaiere celor care nu se pot impartasi.
Thx Mirela! But comment in English please...

Vechi 24.07.2013, 20:12:52
VladCat

Implicit

Florin, you can olso practice your „orthoenglish” here :)
The debates are not as passionate as here but many times they can get pretty interesting.
Vechi 24.07.2013, 20:14:25

Implicit

Ionut, I believe you moved to Lima, Peru... when will you open a Spanish Corner??! :) I look forward to it!
Vechi 24.07.2013, 20:36:02

Implicit

Citat:
În prealabil postat de mirela.t Vezi mesajul
Ionut, I believe you moved to Lima, Peru... when will you open a Spanish Corner??! :) I look forward to it!
Spanish? Not for me. I barely know the numbers.

Anyways, I'll be back home soon. What day is today?... :)

Vechi 24.07.2013, 20:56:52

Implicit

Today is Wednesday, July 24th. Miercoles :)

PS: correct is "anyway", without "s" at the end. but this is a mistake many native do. :)
Răspunde

Tags
engleză, english, orthodox, orthodoxy